Saturday, August 24, 2013

More DIY Canvas Art

I'm addicted to canvas art projects. Between JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. you can always find canvas on sale. I love keeping some handy for those rainy days where you get inspired and want to immediately run to your craft room and start working. Yesterday I found some vinyl letters and numbers that I must have bought a long time ago and forgot about. I remembered seeing some really cool projects on Pinterest where they used lettering and paint and created some very simple, yet really fantastic little works of art.

I needed some bedroom art for the new house we just moved into so I decided to do some sweet lyrics from a David Gray love song. I placed the stickers on the canvas in the format I wanted. (I really like this look where all the words are aligned to left)


Once I had my stickers down, I painted over the entire canvas. I opted for a plain, solid gray. But here, you could do swirls of color, or stripes, or chevron, etc.. 



I let it dry and then applied two more coats of paint so no white was showing through and it was a nice, solid color. Once it dried completely, I peeled off the stickers


It left a rough, sort of unfinished looked, but I liked that. I even had a letter where the gray paint smeared a teeny bit into the white, but it gave it a distressed look that I actually prefer. 

And here is the finished product!







No comments:

Post a Comment