Monday, November 28, 2011

Christmas Yarn-Wrapped Wreath



I decided to try my hand at one of those adorable yarn wrapped wreaths that have been popping up all over Pinterest and crafting blogs. For Christmas this year, I felt like going back to the good 'ol traditional green and red. Last year, I did my wreath and tree in purple and gold! It was really pretty, but honestly.. it looked like a pimp had decorated my house. (we called it the "pimp tree") This year... I'm getting back to the basics. 

For this project I used:
*a plain green styrofoam wreath (after reading tons of blog posts, I think a plastic wrapped straw wreath would actually work better, the styrofoam ones crumble easily)
*yarn
*felt
*ribbon
*hot glue gun

First, I wrapped the entire wreath with yarn. I started by tying a knot in the yarn, pinning it to the back of the wreath to hold it in place, and then began wrapping:






 
Don't worry about trying to keep it perfect, it will take forever! Just completely wrap the entire wreath 2-3 times or until the wreath is completely concealed with yarn.


Next, I added some felt flowers. You can click here: http://blissfulbirdie.blogspot.com/2011/09/felt-flower-wreath-for-fall.html  for instructions on making felt flowers. They are super easy.





Once I hot glued the felt flowers on, I decided it needed a little something else. So I wrapped the rest of the wreath with red ribbon. Starting by glueing one end to the back of the wreath, wrapping it around, and then glueing the other end to the back as well. Looking back, I should have wrapped the entire wreath with ribbon first, then glued the flowers on. But it still turned out pretty cute, I think. 




That's it! Here is the finished product below. The whole process only took about 2 hours! ENJOY!




                                             



3 comments:

  1. I remember doing those -- that's a LOT of work! And I was always impatient and had a mess. I just called it "organic", LOL!

    ReplyDelete