Sunday, October 23, 2011

DIY Shabby Chic Vase - Upcycled

I've discovered another super easy and inexpensive project using items I would have otherwise tossed in the recycling bin. I love these little vases and this is something you can do with any type of container that will hold water.

You will need:

empty glass container (label peeled off)
matte or satin spray paint in white
optional: ribbon, jewels, (anything else you'd like to decorate the vase with)





For this project I used an empty greek pepper jar and a couple empty pickle jars that have been washed out and de-labled. I ran the labels under some very hot water for a few minutes to loosen the glue and they peeled off pretty easily.  I then spray painted the jars doing a few light coats, letting them dry between coats. You want to back away a little when you're spraying. If you're too close, the paint will go on too thick and will drip down the sides.








Once you have a nice, even paint job on your vases.. and they've dried, you can dress your vases up with anything you choose. I used some ribbon tied in a bow in the back. This way, with the changing seasons, I can simply change out my ribbon.




Couple of notes:
*you can also cut ribbon to fit, use some spray adhesive and wrap it around the jar
*Next I'm going to use some glass beer and soda bottles. I've seen this done in another blog post and they are so adorable. For now, I'm just using what I had on hand.
*these vases are really cute on a table or shelf, grouped together in you're using small jars. Odd numbers look best (3 or 5 vases)

No comments:

Post a Comment