Monday, October 10, 2011

DIY Simple Wall Art

I wanted to share with you a quick and easy Wall Art project I just finished. I saw something on Pinterest.com that sparked my interest. It was from blog called Virginia and Charlie. You can go ahead and check out her super cute project here http://virginiaandcharlie.blogspot.com/2011/07/small-projects.html

Based on some comments on Pinterest, I decided to try a different version. You'll need just four things for this version:

Canvas (you pick the size)
Pencil
Elmers Glue (regular old Elmers glue in the squeeze bottle)
Acrylic Paint - color of your choice


Let's skip to the part where I show you my finished product :)















I liked the pattern used in the blog above, so I decided to stick with something similar. I used pencil on a blank white canvas and drew out my design. Then I used Elmers glue and traced my drawing. NOTE: a steady hand and evenly dispersed glue makes for a more seamless finished product. However, I really wasn't going for perfection here, just wanted a nice thick texture. I discovered that it's best to do two coats of glue. Once the first glue design dries, I would go back over it one more time. Once the glue dries, paint the entire piece. This may also take a few coats depending on your color choice. (side note: When I first made this, I used one coat of glue, let it dry, then painted. That's when I realized the texture wasn't thick enough for my liking, so I did the 2nd coat of glue, repainted and found I was much more satisfied with the results)

So here it is, up on the bathroom wall. Picture isn't great, but you get the idea :)



If you try this, I'd love to hear what you did and any variations you tried! Have fun!!

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! I need to try one of these myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! If you do try, I really want to see a pic. So interested in all different things you could come up with, with this project :)

    ReplyDelete